Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Always Check the Label Before Taking your Meds

The title is very self explanatory. But I have to elaborate my bad experience which led me to blog about this topic. I was suffering from a severe cough ( I've had sleepless nights and my stomach hurts from coughing I could almost throw up) so I decided to go to the doctor. To cut to the chase, the doctor issued me a prescription for 2 medicines that I should take everyday. When I went to the drug store, the pharmacist or should I say saleslady gave me the meds and issued receipt. When I left the store, I failed to notice that the prescription was not included in the medicine package. So when I reached home and was about to take the meds, I looked for the instructions and it was not there. Darn, I have to go back to the pharmacy again!

So anyway, I was too tired and too sick to go back that instant. I assumed that the 2 meds were to be taken at least once a day so I took both of it. I'll just go back to the pharmacy later to check how many times I have to take the meds. When I looked at the package of the medicine, I got suspicious because of the name. I compared it to the receipt, it was different. So I was really forced to go back to the drugstore to get the prescription and find out if I was given the right medicine.

True to my suspicion, I was given the wrong meds. The saleslady said sorry over and over again and because I was endowed with a very forgiving heart, I accepted her apology. I told her that I already took one tablet and asked if it would affect my condition. She said no so I felt relieved, got the right meds this time and left the drugstore.

When I checked in the internet what the meds that I mistakenly took, it was Pritor, a treatment for hypertension. Could you imagine what could have happened to me if I just took the meds that was given to me without checking? I read somewhere that this actually happened to someone else but he was more unfortunate. Instead of being given a medicine for diabetes, he was given a sleeping tablet. So while he was driving to work, he dozed off and his car hit another car. He actually sued the popular drugstore ( which coincidentally was the same drugstore I got my meds)

I guess all I got from this experience is a very important lesson that's why I am imparting this to everyone I know. This advice could actually save a life. It could be my child's life or any of my loved ones. So always check the label and if you have the slightest suspicion that there had been a mistake, call your doctor immediately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
cheskakoojee's photos More of cheskakoojee's photos