Friday, September 08, 2006

How the World Gets “Modern-er” Right Before My Eyes

I’ve always believed that my family is “modernized” in so many ways. I grew up in a middle-class family that struggles to embrace the evolving technology the world offers. You see, I have mother who would choose appliances over fancy furniture, a dad with a mind of an inventor, a brother who is a ragnarok addict and a sister who, just like me, is a net freak. If my memory serves me right, I think my mother already purchased for the family over 3 desktops and 2 laptops in a span of 2 decades (not to mention the nintendos and playstations we got from our relatives abroad). Our first ever computer was bought for us by my Uncle when we were in Manila back in 1987. It was an IBM desktop and I think it costed around P20,000 that time. But before that, my siblings and I were already exposed to computers because our school in Manila included it in the curriculum. I was just 9 years old that time and we were already taught how to operate commodore PC’s. I’m sure not many kids with my age then would even know what a computer is. You could imagine how a whiz it was for me to pass computer classes when I was in highschool.

My Dad, whom I love to tell my friends about, has assembled at least five cars and two speedboats during his automotive career. Although he’s not very much into computers, probably doesn’t even know what yahoo is or how to type on the keyboard, he has a mind of a genius. When we were in school he used to help us with our science projects. We grew up believing that our dad was this great inventor-hero as he would always rescue us when we needed his concocting skills. He still is our hero. It’s not easy having to finish building our house and fixing everything that’s broken (including cars and toilets) with his own two hands.

As I remember, during the first five years of my life while we were still living in our hometown Lupon, my first glimpse of technology is our 12 inch-black and white roundish red TV. I must’ve mentioned this before but I used to watch Sesame Street on that TV (my first ever clear memory of watching something). Maybe during that time that red TV was even top of line ---my parents would have to attest to that, not that I’m sure they would even remember it. I’m sure we’ve had a series of more modernized TVs afterwards. We’re a family of couch potatoes and we can’t stand being in a room let alone a house with no small screens you know.

Technology also took its big role in my choice of job. I’m a graduate of Physical Therapy but I made a choice to pursue a career which involves computers. Being an Administrative Facilitator, my job entails having to face the computer 8 hours a day, having to keep cellphones within reach and fax and photocopying machines within a short distance. Emailing is one of my major tasks as I constantly keep in touch with international and local associates so I have to be connected all the time. Losing internet connection is just synonymous to power outage --- I get paralyzed at work. It just amazes me so how technology could really make my job a luxury for me. I could instantly communicate with colleagues, friends and relatives abroad through instant messaging and email. I could purchase tickets and book hotels for my traveling coworkers online. I could even download government forms and schedules through the websites and research about any item in an instant through website search engines. Really convenient! Internet really is one of the greatest forms of technology. Imagine how happy I was when I was able to locate and purchase online 2 song albums back in the 70’s (now I need not mention the band or I’ll just get embarrassed). Another major joy is downloading all my favorite songs into my computer --- all the songs I collected in cassette tapes over the years were downloaded in just a span of one day!

Now it brings me back to my first encounter with internet back in 1998. I’m sure my friend and her husband would still remember our first trip to the internet café. We were so clueless then that even having to log on to yahoo and create an account needed so much assistance from the café personnel. And right now, I could say internet is just so much part of my life. Maybe it’s safe to declare that it’s one of the things I could not live without, other things being the ones found in my purse (wallet, credit cards and make-up). My computer is my non-living bestfriend. When we were made to do a list of the things we would be saving during a fire scenario at work, these are in my list: 1.) Purse 2.) cashbox 3.) my CPU. Now I would have to master the art of removing the wirings in few seconds --- wish I had a laptop instead!

Technology indeed is what makes my life move nowadays. Although I try not be a slave of modernization, I can’t help but admit my dependence in the growing trend. Technology has its many advantages but when misused and abused could also cause more harm than good. I guess that we just have to instill in our minds that as we enjoy what technology has to offer, we have to use it for greater good. We have to remember that even if technology made it possible to build The World Trade Center it was also technology that tore it down.

My message is plain and simple. Enjoy the gifts of technology as it comes but don’t forget that the freedom to enjoy this ends where right to freedom of another begins. Use technology wisely and rightly. Cheers to technology and modernization!

8 Comments:

Blogger Macphisto said...

how about your "walking doll," even today high tech pa rin yun, hahaha.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Jinggay said...

hahaha. oo nga. i wonder what happened to that. i remember i bought it to school one day and our classmates went frenzy. parang nagalit ata teacher natin nun.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
car removal in brisbane
cash for scrap cars ipswich

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for unwanted cars melbourne
cash for scrap cars brisbane

11:29 AM  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
cash for cars sydney
old car removal sydney

1:23 PM  
Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
car buyer caboolture
car buyer ipswich

1:48 PM  
Blogger Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars
cash for scrap metal gold coast

2:25 PM  
Blogger Anayza Feloz said...

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you.
scrap car removal
car removal hobart

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.flickr.com
cheskakoojee's photos More of cheskakoojee's photos